Battle of Pea Ridge
or Elkhorn Tavern, Arkansas
MARCH 6 - 8, 1862

No. 35.

Reports of Maj. Gen. Earl Van Dom C. S. Army, commanding Trans-Mississippi District.

March 9, via Hog Eye, March 10, [1862].

Fought the enemy, about 20,000 strong, 7th and 8th, at Elkhorn, Ark. Battle first day from 10 a.m. until after dark; loss heavy on both sides. Generals McCulloch and McIntosh and Colonel Hbert were killed; Generals Price and Slack were wounded--General Price, flesh wound in the arm; the others badly wounded, if not mortally; many officers killed and wounded; but as there is some doubts in regard to several, I cannot yet report their names. Slept on the battle-field first night, having driven the enemy from their position. The death of Generals McCulloch and McIntosh and Colonel Hebert early in the action threw the troops on the right under their commands in confusion. The enemy took a second and strong position. Being without provisions and the right wing somewhat disorganized, determined to give battle on the right on their front for the purpose only of getting off the field without the danger of a panic, which I did with success, but with some losses.

I am now encamped with my whole army 14 miles west [of] Fayetteville, having gone entirely around the enemy. I am separated from my train, but think it safe on the Elm Springs road to Boston Mountains. The reason why I determined to give battle at once upon my arrival to assume command of the army I will give in report at an early day.


 General, Commanding.


 General A. SIDNEY JOHNSTON, Decatur.
 [Copy to the Secretary of War.]


Van Buren, Ark., March 18, 1862.

SIR: I avail myself of the opportunity offered me by the departure of Dr. O. B. Knobe for Richmond to inform you that the entire army I marched against the enemy some days since is now in camp a few miles from this place, and that I shall march in a few days for Pocahontas, to make a junction with whatever force may be assembled at that point.

It is my intention to fall upon the force of the enemy in the vicinity of New Madrid or Cape Girardeau and attempt to relieve General Beauregard, and, if practicable, I shall march on Saint Louis, and thus withdraw the forces now threatening this part of the State of Arkansas.

The army cannot be subsisted here any longer; neither do I think that the enemy can make any serious demonstrations from here until later in the spring.

I send several thousand cavalry off in a few days via Forsyth, on White River, to burn up the depots of the enemy at Springfield and to destroy his immense trains, which go to and fro nearly unguarded. They will then join me at Pocahontas. I shall order Pike to operate in the Indian country west of this to cut off trains, annoy the enemy in his marches, and to prevent him, as far as possible, from supplying his troops from Missouri and Kansas. He cannot supply them here. I have debated this movement in my own mind and think that it is the best I can make.

I attempted first to beat the enemy at Elkhorn, but a series of accidents entirely unforeseen and not under my control and a badly-disciplined army defeated my intentions. The death of McCulloch and McIntosh and the capture of Hbert left me without an officer to command the right wing, which was thrown into utter confusion, and the strong position of the enemy the second day left me no alternative but to retire from the contest. A heavy blow was struck them, however, and they are somewhat paralyzed. I shall march to another fie1d before they recover, and before their re-enforcements arrive, which they are daily expecting.

If I give battle to the troops near New Madrid I relieve Beauregard. If I find this not advisable or practicable, I shall march boldly and rapidly towards Saint Louis between Ironton and the enemy's grand depot at Rolla. I think I shall accomplish something in that direction. I shall at all events task my humble abilities to their utmost to achieve some success for our cause; and I earnestly hope that I may be successful.

I shall not be able to make my report of the battle of Elkhorn for some time on account of the difficulty I have of getting subordinate reports. Our loss was not as heavy, however, as I had thought and as was reported to me, not being more than 800 or 1,000 killed and wounded and between 200 and 300 prisoners.

The enemy's loss was about 800 killed and 1,000 or 1,200 wounded and about 300 prisoners. We also took two batteries of artillery, one of which was destroyed by fire--burnt up.

The enemy's position was a strong one, but we drove him from it and slept on our arms on the field of battle, night closing the first day's battle.

The second day we found him at daylight in a new and stronger position to the rear of his first, about 2 miles off. From all the circumstances which surrounded me I determined to withdraw. I therefore made a demonstration in front to cover the movement and put the army on the road towards Huntsville, towards the east, and retired with a heavy heart, but with a determination to recover as soon as possible and fight again. I was not defeated, but only foiled in my intentions.  I am yet sanguine of success, and will not cease to repeat my blows whenever the opportunity is offered.

Very respectfully, sir, I am, your obedient servant,




Secretary of War, Richmond, Va.


Jacksonport, Ark., March 27, 1862.

GENERAL: I have the honor to report that while at Pocahontas I received dispatches on February 22, informing me that General Price had rapidly fallen back from Springfield before a superior force of the enemy, and was endeavoring to form a junction with the division of General McCulloch in Boston Mountains. For reasons which seemed to me imperative I resolved to go in person and take command of the combined forces of Price and McCulloch.

I reached their headquarters March 3, and being satisfied that the enemy, who had halted at Sugar Creek, 55 miles distant, was only waiting large re-enforcements before he would advance, I resolved to attack him at once. Accordingly I sent for General Pike to join me near Elm Springs with the forces under his command, and on the morning of March 4 moved with the divisions of Price and McCulloch by way of Fayetteville and Bentonville to attack the enemy's main camp on Sugar Creek. The whole force under my command was about 16,000 moil.

On the 6th we left Elm Springs for Bentonville, and from prisoners captured by our scouting parties on the 5th I became convinced that up to that time no suspicion was entertained of our advance, and that there were strong hopes of our effecting a complete surprise and attacking the enemy before the large detachments encamped at various points in the surrounding country could rejoin the main body. I therefore endeavored to reach Bentonville, 11 miles distant, by rapid march, but the troops moved so very slowly that it was 11 a.m. before the head of the leading division (Price's) reached the village, and we had the mortification to see Sigel's division, 7,000 strong, leaving it as we entered. Had we been one hour sooner we should have cut him off with his whole force, and certainly have beaten the enemy the next day.

We followed him, our advance skirmishing with his rear guard, which was admirably handled, until we had gained a point on Sugar Creek about 7 miles beyond Bentonville and within 1 or 2 miles of the strongly-intrenched camp of the enemy.

In conference with Generals McCulloch and McIntosh, who had an accurate knowledge of this locality, I had ascertained that by making a detour of 8 miles I could reach the Telegraph road leading from Springfield to Fayetteville, and be immediately in rear of the enemy and his intrenchments. I had resolved to adopt this route, and therefore halted the head of my column near the point where the road by which I proposed to move diverges, threw out my pickets, and bivouacked as if for the night. But soon after dark I marched again, moving with Price's division in advance, and taking the road by which I hoped before daylight to reach the rear of the enemy. Some obstructions, which he had hastily thrown in the way, so impeded our march that we did not gain the Telegraph road until near l0 a.m. of the 7th.

By prisoners, with forage wagons, whom our cavalry pickets brought in, we were assured that we were not expected in that quarter, and that the promise was fair for a complete surprise.

I at once made dispositions for attack, and directing General Price to move forward cautiously, soon drew the fire of a few skirmishers, who were rapidly re-enforced, so that before 11 o'clock we were fairly engaged, the enemy holding very good positions and maintaining a heavy fire of artillery and small-arms upon the constantly-advancing columns which were being pressed upon him.

1 had directed General McCulloch to attack with his forces the enemy's left, and before 2 o'clock it was evident that if his division could advance or even maintain its ground, I could at once throw forward Price's left, advance his whole line, and end the battle. I sent him a dispatch to this effect, but it was never received by him. Before it was penned his brave spirit had winged its flight, and one of the most gallant leaders of the Confederacy had fought his last battle.

About 3 p.m. I received, by aides-de-camp, the information that Generals McCulloch and McIntosh and Colonel Hbert were killed, and that the division was without any head. I nevertheless pressed forward with the attack, and at sunset the enemy was fleeing before our victorious troops at every point in our front, and when night fell we had driven him entirely from the field of battle.

Our troops slept upon their arms nearly a mile beyond the point at which he made his last stand, and my headquarters for the night were at the Elkhorn Tavern. We had taken during the day seven cannon and about 200 prisoners.

In the course of the night I ascertained that the ammunition was almost exhausted, and that the officer in charge of the ordnance supplies could not find his wagons, which, with the subsistence train, had been sent to Bentonville. Most of the troops had been without any food since the morning of the 6th and the artillery horses were beaten out.. It was therefore with no little anxiety that I awaited the dawn of day. When it came it revealed to me the enemy in a new and strong position, offering battle. I made my dispositions at once to accept the gage, and by 7 o'clock the cannonading was as heavy as that of the previous day.

On the side of the enemy the fire was much better sustained, for, being freed from the attack of my right wing, he could now concentrate his whole artillery force. Finding that my right wing was much disorganized, and that the batteries were one after the other retiring from the field with every shot expended, I resolved to withdraw the army, and at once placed the ambulances, with all the wounded they could bear, upon the Huntsville road, and a portion of McCulloch's division, which had joined me during the night, in position to follow, while I so disposed of my remaining forces as best to deceive the enemy as to my intention, and to hold him in check while executing it.

About 10 o'clock I gave the order for the column to march and soon afterwards for the troops engaged to fall back and cover the rear of the army. This was done very steadily; no attempt was made by the enemy to follow us, and we encamped about 3 p.m. about 10 miles from the field of battle. Some demonstrations were made by his cavalry upon my baggage train and the batteries of artillery, which returned by different routes from that taken by the army, but they were instantly checked, and thanks to the skill and courage of Colonel Stone and Major Wade, all of the baggage and artillery joined the army in safety.

So far as I can ascertain our loss amounts to about 600 killed and wounded and 200 prisoners: and one cannon, which, having become disabled, I ordered to be thrown into a ravine.

The best information I can procure of the enemy's loss places his killed at more than 700, with at least an equal number of wounded. We captured about 300 prisoners, making his total loss about 2,000. We brought away four cannon and ten baggage wagons, and we burned upon the field three cannon taken by McIntosh in his brilliant charge. The horses having been killed, these guns could not be brought away.

The force with which I went into action was less than 14,000 men. That of the enemy is variously estimated at from 17,000 to 24,000.

During the whole of this engagement I was with the Missouri division, under Price, and I have never seen better fighters than these Missouri troops and more gallant leaders than General Price and his officers. From the first to the last shot they continually pushed on and never yielded an inch they had won, and when at last they received the order to fall back they retired steadily and with cheers. General Price received a severe wound early in the action, but would neither retire from the field nor cease to expose himself to danger.

No successes can repair the loss of the gallant dead who fell on this well-fought field. McCulloch was the first to fall. I had found him, in the frequent conferences I had with him, a sagacious, prudent counselor, and a bolder soldier never died for his country.

McIntosh had been very much distinguished all through the operations which have taken place in this region; and during my advance from Boston Mountains I placed him in command of the cavalry brigade and in charge of the pickets. He was alert, daring, and devoted to his duty. His kindness of disposition, with his reckless bravery, had attached the troops strongly to him, so that after McCulloch fell, had he remained to lead them, all would have been well with my right wing. But after leading a brilliant charge of cavalry and carrying the enemy's battery he rushed into the thickest of the fight again at the head of his old regiment and was shot through the heart. The value of these two officers was best proven by the effect of their fall upon the troops. So long as brave deeds are admired by our people the names of McCulloch and McIntosh will be remembered and loved.

General Slack, after gallantly maintaining a long-continued and successful attack, was shot through the body; but I hope his distinguished services will be restored to his country.

A noble boy, [S.] Churchill Clark, commanded a battery of artillery, and during the fierce artillery actions of the 7th and 8th was conspicuous for the daring and skill which he exhibited. He fell at the very close of the action. Colonel Rives fell mortally wounded about the same time and was a great loss to us. On a field where many gallant gentlemen were I remember him as one of the most energetic and devoted of them all.

To Col. Henry Little my especial thanks are due for the coolness, skill, and devotion with which for two days he and his gallant brigade bore the brunt of the battle. Colonel Burbridge, Colonel Rosser, Colonel Gates, Major Lawther, Major Wade, Captain MacDonald, and Captain Schaumberg are some of those who attracted my special attention by their distinguished conduct.

In McCulloch's division, the Louisiana regiment, under Col. Louis Hbert, and the Arkansas regiment, under Colonel McRae, are especially mentioned for their good conduct. Major Montgomery, Captain Bradfute, Lieutenants Lomax, Kimmel, Dillon, and Frank Armstrong, assistant adjutant-general, were ever active and soldierly. After their services were no longer required with their own division they joined my staff, and I am much indebted to them for the efficient aid they gave me during the engagement of the 8th. They are meritorious officers, whose value is lost to the service by their not receiving rank more accordant with their merit and experience than that they now hold.

Being without my proper staff, I was much gratified by the offer of Colonel Shands and Captain Barrett, of the Missouri Army, of their services as aides. They were of great assistance to me by the courage and intelligence with which they bore my orders; also Colonel Lewis, of Missouri.

None of the gentlemen of my personal staff, with the exception of Colonel Maury, assistant adjutant-general, and Lieut. C. Sulivane, my aide-de-camp, accompanied me from Jacksonport, the others having left on special duty. Colonel Maury was of invaluable service to me both in preparing for and during the battle. Here, as on other battle-fields where I have served with him, he proved to be a zealous patriot and true soldier; cool and calm under all circumstances, he was always ready, either with his sword or his pen. His services and Lieutenant Sulivane's were distinguished. The latter had his horse killed under him while leading a charge, the order for which he had delivered.

You will perceive from this report, general, that, although I did not, as I hoped, capture or destroy the enemy's army in Western Arkansas, I have inflicted upon it a heavy blow and compelled him to fall back into Missouri. This he did on the 16th instant.

For further details concerning the action and for more particular notices of the troops engaged I respectfully refer you to the reports of the subordinate officers, which accompany this report.

Very respectfully, sir, your obedient servant,



 General Braxton Bragg, Commanding, &c.


Memphis, Tenn., April 20, 1862.

GENERAL: I regret to find that in my report of the battle of Elkhorn no mention was made of the excellent conduct of Lieut. L.C. Leftwich, of General McCulloch's staff. After exhibiting great, courage and energy during the engagement of that division he joined my staff and rendered me very great assistance during the action of the 8th. I desire to bring him to your notice as a gallant and meritorious young officer.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,



Hit Counter page visit since October 22, 2002
Page last edited 06/27/2009